Thursday, June 13, 2013

Original vs. Remaster series

In many instances, the remaster of an album is an improvement.  Theoretically, it SHOULD be an improvement.  Tighter bass, crisper highs, vibrant mids.  But that is not always the case.  This series is an objective comparison of an album's original release, A-B ed against the re-master(s).  I've tried my best to equalize the volume for all examples so when you listen to the examples you are NOT influenced by volume which is definitely a deciding factor in taste. It is human nature to appreciate louder music, probably because as the volume raises (to a certain degree), the frequency range is represented more accurately which is pleasing to the human ear.


1 comment:

  1. Nice blog! I have been looking for this kind of information that reveals the differences in sound when it comes to original /vs/ remasters. I am writing a blog ( Resources/link based ) about the issues of systematic remastering that do not do justice to the original recordings and your research is crucial to the arguments that I am posting! My blog is called DESECRATED SOUNDS and is at this location: http://thrashedtodeath.wordpress.com/ I would be glad if you could come and guest post there as well! I am going to reblog some of your content in my blog and will accredite / link the work back here. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete